Analytics

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Third Trimester with Baby Boy #2

My next appointment was on March 31st at 28 weeks. Due to the GD, I had an ultrasound to check baby's size. He was measuring about 3 weeks ahead, weighing around 3lbs 13 oz. His HR was 148 and he was breech. My BP was 120/85 (hooray for lower BP!) and weight at 184.2. 



I had my appt with the endo on April 1st. He wanted me to try to control the GD with diet and exercise. I immediately started looking up things to eat so made a grocery list. I knew it was going to be a long 10-12 weeks. But I also knew that I needed to do this for my baby.  

I had another appointment on April 16th right at 31 weeks. I had another ultrasound and baby boy was measuring 5 lbs 6 oz. He was measuring 4 weeks ahead. His HR was 162. My BP was 119/84 and weight at 182.4. Here is an update I posted on FB so I don't have to re-type it all. 

He scored 100% on his ultrasound for movements, breathing, heart beat, etc. He’s weighing in at a whopping 5 lbs 6 oz and measuring about 35 weeks. Dr. Smith is still thinking we will have to induce a little early, but we will continue to monitor how he is growing at each appointment. I do love getting to see him on the ultrasound screen though!

So far, my gestational diabetes is being controlled by diet and exercise-gotta start walking more though!! But on the downside of this, my iron is super low despite taking daily iron supplements. With the GD I can’t drink orange juice with the iron supplements like has been suggested to help my body absorb the iron quicker. Also, some of the foods I am eating for GD are causing a slower absorption of iron. I have to get an iron infusion Tuesday morning at the hospital. I’m nervous about going into the hospital during this time, and also having to go alone due to no visitors. Prayers are greatly appreciated for this process, that I will stay healthy and away from any of the virus mess that’s going on while going into the hospital. (I don’t have to stay or anything. Just an in and out thing) Also, please keep praying for me during this gestational diabetes journey that my numbers will stay where they need to be and that baby boy will not grow too big too quickly!

On a side note: I know that this stay at home order hasn’t been fun for many people and most people are ready to get back to normal, as am I!! But I’m also very thankful that I’ve been home during this crazy month with this pregnancy. I’ve had a lot of doctor’s appts and Telehealth visits, having to control my diet and eat every 2-3 hours, checking my blood sugar, low iron causing dizzy spells, etc. I am still working from home, but this whole process would have been a lot different if I was still going into the office to work-Missing days of work for all these appointments, probably not controlling my diet like I should be, not being able to lay down when having a dizzy spell, or going for a quick walk around the neighborhood if my blood sugar numbers were a little higher than they should. So I am very thankful for this “stay at home order”, even though I miss seeing my work family!

At this point, I am going every 2 weeks to my OB and every 2 weeks to my endo. I also have had to go to the lab for blood draws and get iron infusions. Lots of doctors appointments which isn't something I was thrilled about during a pandemic. 

At my next appointment at 33 weeks on April 30th, he was estimated to weigh 6 lbs 5 oz. His belly measured 37 weeks and head & legs measured 35 weeks. My BP was 129/81 & weight at 182.8. I was still controlling my GD with diet and exercise! Baby is super active & I am super miserable! I started having contractions every night between 7-10pm. They were pretty intense but not consistent and would start and stop almost exactly at 7pm and 10pm every night. 

35 week appointment (34+6 to be exact) on may 13th: Baby's HR was 157. He was estimated to weigh 6 lbs 8 oz. My BP was 127/86 & weight at 183.4. Still doing good with the GD! here is my facebook update from this appointment:

Baby Update! His growth has slowed down drastically! He’s only measuring about a week ahead now and weighing about 6lbs 8oz. His breathing, heart rate, and movements were great! He’s head down already and actually facing the right way unlike his big brother was! 1 cm dilated but that doesn’t mean he is coming any time soon. No more iron infusions for me!! Iron levels are increasing! Unless he comes on his own before 39 weeks, I’ll be induced around then (2nd week of June). We will know more after my next appointment on May 29th, but as of right now, we have 4 weeks or less til we meet our boy!


We celebrated Mother's Day with just our immediate families, due to COVID. It was bittersweet just knowing that this was my last year to celebrate with just my one boy! 



37 week appointment on May 29th: Baby is estimated to weigh 8lbs 1 oz. Measuring a few weeks ahead. INDUCTION is scheduled for June 8th!! My BP was 124/79 & weight at 183.2. Still doing great with following the GD diet and keeping my numbers low!


I've still been having contractions a lot. They are now coming all throughout the day and are pretty painful, but nothing consistent at all. Even though induction was already scheduled for Monday, June 8th, I had one final appointment on June 5th. 

At that appointment, baby was measuring 8lbs 15 oz. My BP was 130/82 and weight at 181.8. I was 3 cm dilated and almost completely thinned, so I wasn't going to have to go in Sunday night for cervix thinning meds! 


I was very anxious all weekend. Mom came and helped me clean my house and get it all ready to go which was a good distraction. I had a lot of emotions, and I think most of them stemmed from already having a child. What was he going to think? How was he going to react? Would he be jealous? How could I love 2 babies the same? What if something goes wrong with the induction? What if I end up having a c-section? What if it takes days? Just lots of emotions and nerves!

But we made it. We made it to 38+4 weeks, and we were going to get to meet our baby boy a little early! 

How he got his name & his birth story coming soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment