Analytics

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Baylor Ray's Birth Story

 Induction was scheduled for 5am on Monday, June 8th. Bentley spent the night with MiMi & Pop Pop Sunday night and was staying with them while we were in the hospital. (thanks COVID! *side eye*)

We got up about 4 am, but lets face it...I barely even went to sleep. We got ready, fed the animals, and packed the car. The drive to the hospital was very quiet. I think Kip knew I was a little nervous, because he just grabbed my hand and held it the whole way to the hospital. 

We got the hospital about 5:15. (us, late? NEVER!) Got checked in through the ER. Since COVID was still rampant, we had to get temp checked, but no COVID test...hallelujah! We went up to L&D and had to wear masks. They made Kip sit in the waiting room while I got into a room and hooked up to all the monitors and got my IV. That took probably an hour. I think it was about 6:30 before he came into the room with me. 

I was still feeling good. I wasn't feeling any contractions but Baylor was moving a lot! It was almost shift change, so we a new set of nurses. At 7 am, they checked me and I was at 4 cm. I asked if they had started pitocin because I was feeling some contractions and Nurse Kaylee said that I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart. She said because I was contracting already, she wasn't going to start pitocin until after Dr. Smith broke my water. He was delivering another baby so we were just in the waiting game of him to come in to break my water. He came in at 7:45 am and broke my water. About 20 minutes later, I started having stronger contractions. They were getting a little more painful, but bearable. Still 2-3 minutes apart. 

At 8:35 am, I started having some strong back contractions. I was still able to talk through them, but they were consistently getting more painful. Kaylee said they weren't going to start pitocin until I got my epidural, because she didn't want me progressing too quickly and not be able to get it. (i.e. Bentley's birth). She asked if I wanted pain meds, and I said I was ok for right now. She asked if I had a high pain tolerance, and I said that I didn't think so. She said she has girls that will be at a 2-3 screaming in pain by this point, so my pain tolerance was pretty high! 

At 8:55 am, she started the pain medicine. I was really hurting. I was at 5-6 cm, baby was super low, and I was progressing fast! Just very (im)patiently waiting on the epidural. One thing I do remember from the pain meds was that I felt really lightheaded and almost drunk! They kicked in quick and helped some, but I still had pain. 

Finally got the epidural about 9:45 am. It took and was working great. I was in very little pain and dilated to 6-7 cm. Kaylee decided they wouldn't give me pitocin because how fast I was progressing. She did tell me she was worried I wouldn't be able to get the epidural because I was progressing so fast on my own, but she waited to tell me after I got it! haha!!

10:40 am: At 8 cm, baby was a -1 to 0 station. She turned me to right side to help baby move down. I couldn't feel anything below my belly button! It was great! I wanted to take a nap, but she kept coming to check on me because it was all happening so fast!

11:15 am: Dilated to 9cm. turned to my left side to help baby come down some more. I started feeling really shaky and shivering some, but I wasn't cold. She mentioned I was probably in transition and my body was reacting. 

11:50 am: 9-10 cm dilated. A little bit of cervix was still in the way. She me up and I sat indian style to see if that would help get it to move. My legs felt like jello and super heavy, so she pretty much had to position me like that!

12:00 pm: She checked me and said sitting that way seemed to be working. She wanted me to sit like that for about 20 minutes then we would start pushing. 

12:15 pm: The whole team came in the room ready to get baby out! My tech, Jordan told me, jokingly, that she was gonna give me 10 minutes to get this baby out, because she hated wearing all that stuff they were having to wear due to COVID. I told her that was the perfect plan. They all knew I was anxious about pushing because of the experience I had with Bentley!

12:25 pm: I started pushing! I pushed about 4 times when Kaylee said to Jordan to go get Dr. Smith. I was concerned something was wrong, and she said that everything was great and baby would be out in no time. 

12:34 pm: Baby Baylor was BORN! I pushed 2 more times with Dr. Smith and he popped right out! He weighed 8lbs 13 oz and was 21 inches long! 

We had the most amazing staff tending to us for labor and delivery! I couldn't have asked for better people! Kaylee & Jordan were MORE than I could have ever hoped for and made the whole process SO easy! 











 Hospital stay & first few days at home coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment