Analytics

Monday, April 7, 2014

January 28th Snow DayZ

The morning of January 28th started out as a normal Tuesday morning.  I got up and went to work, expecting to be at work until 4:30 that afternoon.  They were forecasting snow for the southern portion of Alabama, but nothing more than a dusting for us in Northeast Alabama.

About 10 am that morning, I headed to Teacher's Credit Union to get some checks signed.  I was driving Kip's car that day, since he drove mine to Jacksonville early that morning.  It was BITTERLY cold outside...like blustery, freezing, about 5 degrees with a wind chill of -100.  Not really...but it was extremely cold.  I went in ATCU, got checks signed, talked to Ron for a minute and then walked out.  I was in ATCU MAYBE 5 minutes at most. When I came out, there was snow blowing across the roads, not really sticking yet.  I called Kip and asked if he wanted his car back.  (He was at work at Gadsden PD) He said I could bring it if I wanted to...so I headed to city hall-maybe 5 miles from ATCU.  By the time I got to City Hall, the roads and parking lot were beginning to become snow covered.

 Leaving ATCU about 10:15 am

When I got to Kip's work about 5 minutes later. 

I got to Kip's work, went and swapped keys with him, and walked back outside, to a SNOW COVERED parking lot and roads. (Less than 5 minutes)

 City Hall parking lot AFTER I came out.

The road by city hall.

Kip BEGGED me to go home and not go back to work, but as far as I knew, Coosa wasn't closing yet.  I knew the Etowah County and Gadsden City schools were closing at 12:30, but I hadn't gotten a school cast from Coosa.  I went on back to work, very slowly, already starting to slide on the road. The view was beautiful, but I was not thrilled about driving in it. 

 Snow blowing across I-759 and starting to stick to it. 


 I-759

Black Creek Parkway exit

 CrossPoint/Coosa Parking Lot

Wills Creek Road in front of CrossPoint/Coosa. 

I made it back to work, with the whole county looking like a winter wonderland.  I went back inside, to the news that the school was closing at 12:30.  As the snow CONTINUED to come down, very fast and very heavy, other schools in the county decided to CLOSE IMMEDIATELY, as did Coosa.  Bro. Chuck told me to go on home, so I got in the car and started to leave.  As I was pulling out of my park, I was sliding all over the parking lot.  I did NOT want to drive home, especially across the Southside Bridge! I called Kip and he said he was probably going to get to leave work, so to stay at the school and he would come get me.  He finally made it, but he said there were wrecks all over the place.  We stayed at the school to make sure everyone got home ok (Kip is such a good Samaritan! haha!) Jillian and the kids were going to come with us, because Clai was stuck in Oxford. We loaded up about 1 pm, and headed to Kip's parents' house. 

 In front of the church

 Parking lot at the school

Loaded up and heading out!

Kip had 2 very nervous girls to deal with the whole way.  We were very scared, but knew that Kip would get us where we were going safely...it wasn't him we were worried about-it was the other crazies on the road!

We headed, very slowly, toward East Gadsden.  It was such a beautiful sight, minus the traffic. 

Side Note: These pics are not in ANY order!

 Made it to Kip's parents' house!

 Our Church, East Gadsden Baptist

 On I-759, just leaving the school!

 A wreck on I-759

 Traffic at the red light on I-759

 Almost 3 inches of snow on the ground!

 On I-759

 Halfway there! Made it to Meighan/Hwy 431

 Rainbow Drive - So glad we weren't in that traffic!

I-759

We made it to Kip's parents' in about 25-30 minutes (normally a 15 minutes trip), so we were thankful for that! We hung out there for a while, waiting to see if we could make it to Southside.

 Graison fell asleep in the car on the way to Kip's house!

 Evelynn's First Snow Day!

Graison snoozing through the excitement!

Finally around 4:30, we decided to head to Southside.  Kip thought we could make it going Green Valley, since the Southside Bridge was still closed. We loaded up, and headed out! Kip had to be at work (Sheriff's office) at 6pm, to work until Midnight, so we had to get to Southside to get his stuff. 

 Jillian, Kip and I before heading out!

 Beau loving the snow!

Kip and I - SNOW DAY!

We left and headed through Glencoe toward Green Valley. So far, so good! Not a lot of traffic, Kip was taking it slow and no sliding or anything! (Thank goodness for 4-wheel drive!) We got to Green Valley and BOOM-stopped dead in our tracks. Traffic was backed up. The road was closed, and they weren't letting anyone through. A state trooper needed to get through so, once again, thank goodness for 4 wheel drive, lights on Kip's car, and him knowing people, we were able to by pass all the traffic.  The state trooper, in his little crown vic, could not make it, started spinning and sliding, and got stuck.  Kip had to get out and help push him.  He decided to go back and try again.  Kip asked the firemen if he thought he could make it, and they said he should be fine.  SO up the hill we go! 

 Green Valley

 Following the State Trooper

 HWY 278 - Just leaving Kip's house!

 Lonesome Bend Road - Glencoe

 Following the state trooper again

HWY 431 - in front of Glencoe City Hall and FBC Glencoe

Luckily, we made it to Pilgrims rest Road in Southside. We headed to our house first to get me a bag with some clothes and stuff, to take to Jillian's house.  Kip got all his stuff ready, and we headed to Jillian's house (just about 3 minutes away).  We passed Chad on our road.  He was coming to pick Kip up, so Kip told him to follow him to Jillian's.  We made it to Jillian's and off went Kip to work! :( I spent the night with Jillian, and we got up the next morning and played in the snow! Graison LOVED it! :)

 Kip's Car - our lifesaver!!

 Evelynn's first snow!





Graison having a blast!

After playing in the snow, Kip and I went to our house, so I could get a shower.  We ended up staying there and he took me home later.  We both had to work the next day, so he picked me up and took me to work.  

It was definitely a forecast buster by the meteorologists! We were all in complete shock.  People were stranded for HOURS...even overnight! People left their cars on the road and walked as far as they could.  It was really like something you would see in the movies!

It was a crazy day-no doubt! But it was a memory that will forever last!

Until Next Time, 

No comments:

Post a Comment