Analytics

Thursday, May 17, 2018

So Will I - Hillsong Worship

I have about a 35-40 minute drive to and from work everyday. It is the PERFECT time for me to pray or have a "worship session" as I call it. We have a subscription to Sirius XM radio, and I listen to The Message (ch. 63). I LOVE music and always have & in the car is my favorite place to jam out! Every day either on the way to work or on the way home (or sometimes both) the song "So Will I" by Hillsong Worship plays. I've loved that song since the first time I heard it, but I never actually thought about the words. Last night, I actually READ the words, not sang them. I studied the words and thought about the meaning of each line. This is such a POWERFUL song about God's creation. I absolutely love when a song lines up perfectly with scripture. I am going to break down the song how I interpret it, and post of scriptures that go along with each part of the song! 


God of creation

There at the start
Before the beginning of time
With no point of reference
You spoke to the dark
And fleshed out the wonder of light


This verse is pretty simple to those who know about the creation story. God created the heavens and the earth.  John 1:1 states that "In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God. And the Word was God." He is the beginning. No one else, nothing else BUT Him! Genesis 1:1-2 says, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the  earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."  He was here before the beginning of time. Everything was dark. Genesis 1:3-5 talks about him speaking to the darkness and creating the light. "And God said, "Let there be light", and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light 'day' and the darkness he called 'night'. And there was evening, and there was morning - the first day." 



And as You speak
A hundred billion galaxies are born
In the vapor of Your breath the planets form
If the stars were made to worship so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You’ve made
Every burning star
A signal fire of grace
If creation sings Your praises so will I

This is one of my favorite parts of the song. How powerful is our God? He speaks, and a hundred billion galaxies are created, planets are created, stars are created. Genesis 1:14-19: "And God said, 'Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.' And it was so. God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day."

"If the stars were made to worship, so will I". These burning balls of gas were created to worship him. How can I NOT worship Him, when He created me? "If creation sings Your praises, so will I". Everything He created was made to worship Him. We should ALL worship Him, for He created us. Colossians 1:16 says that all things were created through Him AND for Him! 

God of Your promise
You don’t speak in vain
No syllable empty or void
For once You have spoken
All nature and science
Follow the sound of Your voice

He tells the wind where to blow, the tells the oceans and seas where to stop. How amazing is it that God can speak, and everything in nature be calm - at the SOUND OF HIS VOICE?? In Mark, Jesus, who is God's son, calms the storm by speaking. He says "Peace, Be Still" and the waves and the wind ceased. The men on the boat even said, Who is this that the wind and the sea obey him? He is the master of the universe. Everything should follow the sound of His voice. If the wind will be still just by Him speaking, why am I not doing what He asks of me? 

And as You speak
A hundred billion creatures catch Your breath
Evolving in pursuit of what You said
If it all reveals Your nature so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You say
Every painted sky
A canvas of Your grace
If creation still obeys You so will I

Every time I read the words, "As You speak", I get chills. All He has to do is speak and it is so. Genesis 1:20-23: And God said, ‘Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.’ So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. God blessed them and said, ‘Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.’ And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day." There has been some controversy over the line, "Evolving in pursuit of what You said", because as Christians, we do not believe in evolution. I listened to a video from a worship leader who talked about this very verse. I will link the video here if you are interested. Psalms 19:1: "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork." Many times we look at the sky and, and think "How Beautiful" especially at Sunrise/Sunset. But do we ever think of the sky as a canvas of God's grace? I bet you will look at the sky differently now. I know I will. 

If the stars were made to worship so will I
If the mountains bow in reverence so will I
If the oceans roar Your greatness so will I
For if everything exists to lift You high so will I
If the wind goes where You send it so will I
If the rocks cry out in silence so will I
If the sum of all our praises still falls shy
Then we’ll sing again a hundred billion times

I have NO words for this part of the song. I am BLOWN away by these words. If the wind goes where you send it, so will I. Isaiah 6:8 - Here am I, send me. We should always be willing to say to God when He is asking, "Who will go?", Send me, I will go! If we feel God calling us to move, we should move. If all of these things created by God worship Him, obey Him, and shout with joy for Him, SO SHOULD I! 

God of salvation
You chased down my heart
Through all of my failure and pride
On a hill You created
The light of the world
Abandoned in darkness to die

This verse struck me hard. He is God of our Salvation, without Him, we are doomed. He LONGED for us, He begged and pleaded for us to come to Him, even though we fail daily. Even though we let our pride get in the way of worshiping Him. Even though we put other things and people before Him...yet He still wants us. Yet He still longs for us to come to Him. This makes me think of another song by Tenth Avenue North, called Control. A line in that songs says "God You don't need me, but somehow You want me." then goes on to say this line that gets me EVERY time, "The King of Heaven WANTS me." Despite all of our failures. Despite all of our faults. He still WANTS us. 

This song is about creation, so how can you overlook this line: "On a hill You created, the Light of the World (Jesus) abandoned in darkness to die." When God created that hill, He knew that HIS SON, the LIGHT OF THE WORLD, was going to die on that hill. God created the hill that Jesus bled and died on. WOW! 

And as You speak
A hundred billion failures disappear
Where You lost Your life so I could find it here
If You left the grave behind You so will I
I can see Your heart in everything You’ve done
Every part designed in a work of art called love
If You gladly chose surrender so will I
I can see Your heart
Eight billion different ways
Every precious one
A child You died to save
If You gave Your life to love them so will I

And now, my favorite verse of the whole song. I think it speaks for itself, really. He doesn't see our failures or our faults. He speaks, and they are gone. They no longer matter. Jesus died on that cross so we could have life. 1 Peter 2:24 (NLT version is my favorite) - “He personally carried our sins in His body on the cross, so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By His wounds you are healed.” He PERSONALLY carried our sins. He died for OUR sins, for He was without sin. He didn't have to do that, but He did. He rose from the grave, leaving it behind. He left the grave behind. He didn't dwell on it. So should we leave the grave behind. Don't dwell on your past sins, if you have repented and been forgiven. Don't dwell on death, but look forward to it, because that day, we will see HIM face to face. If you are a believer, don't be afraid of death. Don't dwell on the thought of dying. 

Every time I see a baby or a child, I think about how God created that perfect being. He breathed life into that child. We see it as GOOD. But, we may see people sometimes who we don't see as good. We may see people who don't look like we do or don't talk like we do. Every time we see a person, no matter how big or small, we should look at them as God sees them. He CREATED that person, and we are called to LOVE that person. If Jesus gave HIS LIFE to love that person, SO WILL I. This is the hardest thing for me. Sometimes it is hard to love people. But we are CALLED to LOVE. Everyone. No. Matter. What. 

And the last part of the song: 

Like You would again a hundred billion times
But what measure could amount to Your desire
You’re the One who never leaves the one behind

He would give His life again "a hundred million times" for us. Why do we not follow Him? Why do we not worship Him? Why do we put others before Him? All He wants is our hearts. After seeing what all He has done, after seeing how we were created by Him to worship Him, how can we sit back & continue in our selfish ways? If the stars were made to worship; If the mountains bow in reverence; If the oceans roar His greatness, If the wind goes where He sends it; If the rocks cry out in silence; IF EVERYTHING EXISTS TO LIFE HIM HIGH - why am I not lifting Him high? 

What a powerful song. Probably my favorite Hillsong Worship song so far. It may just be a song to you, but really think about what the song is saying. What the meaning of the song is. 




No comments:

Post a Comment